Make Fried Rice in your instant pot for a quick and easy dinner idea! Fried Rice is a yummy side dish for any party or holiday. It is so easy to make and is an instant hit with everyone!
Instant Pot Fried Rice
Every New Year our family gets together for a big, delicious meal of steak, crab, and chicken.
It’s a family tradition that we have all come to love and look forward to it every year.
While the meat is clearly the most anticipated part of the meal- there are a few dishes that always have to make it onto the table, too.
Fried Rice is one of them.
Not only is is delicious but it really is easy to make. And homemade tastes so much better than a bag of frozen rice you could buy at the store.
So don’t let this dish intimidate you, take a quick look at these easy directions and make sure you put this on your menu right away!
What can I serve with this?
Fried Rice is one of those dishes that is great as a side dish-but also amazing as the main course.
Whenever we have leftover ham we immediately put fried rice on our menu for the following week.
Here’s our fool proof recipe for cooking a ham.
Other favorites to pair with it might be orange chicken, noodles, egg rolls, broccoli, dumplings or salad.
Or try what we do every New Year’s Eve and cook up some steak, chicken and crab- try it and let me know what you think.
This recipe calls for using sesame oil to saute your veggies. If you don’t have sesame oil- any other type of oil would work just fine. It just won’t have that sesame flavor.
If you don’t have leftover ham you can buy pre-diced ham at your local store. Or go to the deli and ask for a slice of deli ham cut at about 14 thick.
You can also sub coconut aminos in place of your regular soy sauce.
If you don’t love ham you can sub it for shrimp or any protein of your liking.
Can I leave out the onions? Yes, you can leave out anything you don’t like.
Can I double the recipe? Yes, if you double the recipe you may need to move the rice out of the instant pot and saute and mix together in batches to ensure everything gets cooked and warmed.
Can I use fresh peas and carrots? You definitely can. I have only used frozen veggies but any kind will do.
Can I freeze leftovers? Yes, you can freeze fried rice. All you have to do is pull out your Ziploc sandwich baggies, pack/freeze, then throw it into a hot skillet and heat until warm through
Can I leave out the ham? Yes. We have made this without ham or any other kind of meat and it was still tasty!
What kind of rice should I use? Medium to long grain rice works best. Jasmine rice produces fluffy, sturdy grains that don’t clump or fall apart when fried. Short grain rice like sweet/sushi rice or glutinous rice, tends to be softer and stick together.
2 cups uncooked white rice
2 cups cubed or diced ham
green onions- chopped
2 eggs- scrambled
sliced water chestnuts
1 bag peas and carrots
Soy sauce- to taste
Sesame oil to saute veggies
Cook rice in your instant pot
1 cup of water for every one cup of rice
Remove rice and set aside in large bowl
Turn instant Pot to sauté and add sesame oil
Sauté ham and add eggs, stir until cooked
Add peas, carrots, green onions and water chestnuts and soy sauce to taste (make sure it is coated)
Stir until cooked then add rice back in and stir while adding
Add last half of soy sauce and stir
Serve right away or keep warm in Instant Pot
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups cubed or diced ham
- green onions- chopped
- 2 eggs- scrambled
- sliced water chestnuts
- 1 bag peas and carrots
- Soy sauce- to taste
- Sesame oil to saute veggies
- Cook rice in your instant pot
- 1 cup of water for every one cup of rice
- Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear
- Add oil to Instant Pot along with the rinsed rice, water and salt
- Lock the lid and set the steam valve to seal
- Cook white rice for 4-8 minutes or r follow the cooking chart below
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve
- Remove rice and set aside in large bowl
- Turn instant Pot to sauté and add sesame oil
- Sauté ham and add eggs, stir until cooked
- Add peas, carrots, green onions and water chestnuts and soy sauce to taste (make sure it is coated)
- Stir until cooked then add rice back in and stir while adding
- Add last half of soy sauce and stir
- Serve right away or keep warm in Instant Pot
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g